This map features Avraham’s journey to and throughout the Promised Land, as described in Genesis 11:31 – 23:20.
- Avraham is born in Ur Kasdim (Ur of the Chaldees).
- From Ur Kasdim, Avraham travels with his family to Haran (Genesis 11:31-32), where God calls to him at the age of 75 and tells him to travel to Canaan (Genesis 12:1-5).
- Once in Canaan, Avraham builds an altar to God in Shechem, his first stop in the land. Here, God also promises Avraham that the land will be given to his descendants (Genesis 12:6-7).
- In Beit El, Avraham builds an altar to God and calls out in His name (Genesis 12:8).
- Avraham travels to Egypt in order to escape famine in Canaan (Genesis 12:10-20).
- Upon returning from Egypt, Avraham settles in the southern part of Canaan. When his nephew Lot chooses to settle in the fertile Jordan Valley, Avraham moves to Elonei Mamre, just north of Chevron, where he again builds an altar to God (Genesis 13:18). It is here that the “Covenant Between the Parts” takes place and God promises Avraham that his children will inherit the Land of Israel (Genesis 15:18), specifically the offspring of Yitzchak (Genesis 17:19,21). It is also here where Avraham is circumcised (Genesis 17:23-27).
- In order to experience as much of the land as possible and spread awareness of God’s existence to as many people as he can, Avraham moves once again and settles in Gerar (Genesis 20:1).
- In Be’er Sheva, Avraham plants a tree and again calls out in God’s name, spreading awareness of the Lord throughout the land (Genesis 21:33-34). He returns to Be’er Sheva after the binding of Isaac (Genesis 22:19).
- When Sarah dies, Avraham buys the Cave of Machpelah, located in Chevron, from Ephron the Hittite as a burying place (Genesis 23:1-20). This is the first piece of the Land of Israel that was purchased by Avraham and his family. When Avraham himself dies, he is also buried at the Cave of Machpelah (Genesis 25:7-10), as are Yitzchak, Rivka, Yaakov and Leah.
No results found in this location. Please try again.