Yericho

width=224

Yericho, Salamandra123

Synonyms:
Jericho, y’-ree-KHO, יְרִיחוֹ
Jericho (Wikipedia)

Jericho
Other transcription(s)
 • Arabicأريحا
 • Hebrewיְרִיחוֹ
The city of Jericho from Tell es-Sultan
The city of Jericho from Tell es-Sultan
Official logo of Jericho
Municipal Seal of Jericho
Jericho is located in the Palestinian territories
Jericho
Jericho
Location of Jericho within Palestine
Coordinates: 31°52′16″N 35°26′39″E / 31.87111°N 35.44417°E / 31.87111; 35.44417Coordinates: 31°52′16″N 35°26′39″E / 31.87111°N 35.44417°E / 31.87111; 35.44417
Palestine grid193/140
GovernorateJericho
Founded9600 BCE
Government
 • TypeCity (from 1994)
 • Head of MunicipalityHassan Saleh
Area
 • Jurisdiction58,701 dunams (58.701 km2 or 22.665 sq mi)
Elevation
−258 m (−846 ft)
Population
(2006)
 • Jurisdiction20,300
Name meaning"Fragrant"

Jericho (/ˈɛrɪk/; Arabic: أريحاArīḥā [ʔaˈriːħaː] (About this soundlisten); Hebrew: יְרִיחוֹYeriḥo) is a city in the Palestinian Territories and is located near the Jordan River in the West Bank. It is the administrative seat of the Jericho Governorate, and is governed by the Fatah faction of the Palestinian National Authority. In 2007, it had a population of 18,346. The city was occupied by Jordan from 1949 to 1967, and has been held under Israeli occupation since 1967; administrative control was handed over to the Palestinian Authority in 1994. It is believed to be one of the oldest inhabited cities in the world and the city with the oldest known protective wall in the world. It was thought to have the oldest stone tower in the world as well, but excavations at Tell Qaramel in Syria have discovered stone towers that are even older.

Archaeologists have unearthed the remains of more than 20 successive settlements in Jericho, the first of which dates back 11,000 years (9000 BCE), almost to the very beginning of the Holocene epoch of the Earth's history.

Copious springs in and around the city have attracted human habitation for thousands of years. Jericho is described in the Hebrew Bible as the "City of Palm Trees".

« Back to Glossary Index
Skip to toolbar